BAT is evolving at pace - truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
SENIORITY LEVEL: Managerial
FUNCTION: Legal & External Affairs
LOCATION: London – Globe House
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Permanent
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
What are the key objectives and expectations from this role?
Providing counsel and materials to enable Senior Counsel, Patents to support and execute Group Patent legal strategy to inform business decisions and maximise commercial opportunities, whilst ensuring legal compliance and mitigating business risk.
Responsible for leading and being an integral part of a small team undertaking invention mining/harvesting, drafting and patent prosecution activities for the Modern Oral Category and providing counselling on potential risks posed by third party patents in relation to the inventions identified:
- Implementing filing strategies to maximise our competitive advantage from our key innovations.
- Implementing prosecution strategies to protect our innovations and maximise the commercial opportunities that can be derived from our portfolio.
As a member of the BAT Group Patents team, you will be expected to contribute to and execute all aspects of the work in a manner which:
- provides a value-added service to central management functions and relevant Business Units; and
- delivers high quality, solution-orientated advice on all aspects of work.
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
- Establish and maintain a strong and sustainable patent portfolio which protects our key innovations in one or more Business Units with a focus on Modern Oral
- Undertake all invention mining/harvesting and patent drafting activities to support the Business Units
- Implement filing strategies to maximise our competitive advantage from our key innovations
- Generate and maintain patent filing lists for the Business Units in line with the commercial strategy for each Business Unit.
- Implement prosecution strategies to protect our innovations and maximise the commercial opportunities that can be derived from our key innovations in each Business Unit, particularly Modern Oral
- Providing robust legal advice to facilitate our business and protect the Group's interests by identifying, communicating and managing potential risks presented by third party patents
- Advising R&D, Ops and other key functions on potential risks and working collaboratively with these stakeholders to put in place appropriate strategies
- Lead a team within Patents ensuring the team is, at all times, optimally structured and operating to meet business priorities.
- Direct, co-ordinate and supervise their team’s drafting and prosecution work globally through the effective management and supervision of direct and indirect reports.
- Lead, train and educate direct and indirect reports through constant and effective communication and feedback to ensure the team has full alignment with the business needs and provides to the business high quality, solution orientated and value-added advice on all patent issues.
- Provide commercially focussed advice on key patent issues in a straightforward and compelling way directly to Business Unit and NC Category leaders, enabling the business to deliver results whilst managing legal risk.
- Develop and manage relationships with key external IP service providers to ensure high quality, efficient and value for money service, seeking efficiencies and opportunities for standardisation where possible
- Cultivate a network of collaborative relationships at all levels within BAT which are based on mutual trust to ensure the best outcome for BAT as whole
- Create a healthy, engaged and inclusive working environment for the team
- Manage performance and development reviews of team members on an active basis, ensuring regular meetings with direct reports to ensure strong motivation and development
- Take responsibility for the execution and delivery of key processes, protocols and governance as allocated by Senior Counsel, Patents
- Promote risk management and compliance culture ensuring consistency in application of IP policies and procedures on a global level within BAT
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Previous experience of executing innovative, pragmatic, cost effective filing and prosecution strategies which will maximise our competitive advantage from our key innovations
- Commercially astute with a clear understanding of FMCG businesses and proven ability to understand and support strategic aims
Technical / Functional Skills Required
- Ability to assimilate and undertake high level strategic analysis of complex legal and business issues in line with overall business strategy
- Detailed knowledge and practical experience of patent laws in US, Europe and Japan (as well as China) and working knowledge of related laws including trademark, copyright, designs, competition, contract, commercial and data protection laws
- Ability to advise on and assess IP clauses in commercial agreements, including licences, settlement agreements, assignments, with considerable attention to detail, accuracy and consequences
- High level understanding of tax and financial implications of commercial and contractual decisions
Leadership Skills Required
- Good interpersonal skills, sound judgement, good decision making and the ability to inform and influence at all levels both internally and externally (EMPOWERED AND BOLD)
- Skilled in engaging and communicating in simple, clear and coherent manner at senior management level (FAST)
- Ability to manage priorities and meet commitments with a track record of successfully completing projects (RESPONSIBLE)
- Ability to work across functions, building consensus and support (EMPOWERED)
Education / Qualifications / Certifications Required
- Professionally qualified as a European and UK patent attorney and would usually have relevant post qualification experience in the Patents field in the chemical field, including drafting, prosecution, FTO, agreement, contentious and non-contentious matters
- Previous in-house experience
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!