BAT is evolving at pace - truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
BAT UKIS LOOKING FOR A PATENT SEARCHER
SENIORITY LEVEL: Experienced Professional
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Permanent
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
Providing searching and analysis of third-party patents to enable the Patents Team to support and execute Group Patent legal strategy to inform business decisions and maximise commercial opportunities, whilst ensuring legal compliance and mitigating business risk.
Responsible for undertaking pre-filing novelty searches, FTO searches and invalidation searches.
Delivery of results to F&P, FTO and Patent litigation teams in simple and effective manner.
Responsible for undertaking patent landscape searches.
As a member of the BAT Group Patents team, you will be expected to contribute to and execute all aspects of the work in a manner which:
- provides a value-added service to central management functions and relevant Business Units;
- and delivers high quality work product
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR
- Undertake pre-filing novelty searches, FTO searches and invalidation searches to support the rest of the Patents team
- Delivery of all searches according to agreed timelines, in standardised format as agreed with the patent attorneys
- Ensure appropriate quality control and checking of any searches performed by third parties before passing on to patent attorneys
- Undertake patent landscape searches
- Identification of key competitors and areas of technology focus
- Provide information in a straightforward and easily accessible format to patent attorneys, enabling them to deliver results whilst managing legal risk.
- Develop and manage relationships with key external service providers to ensure high quality, efficient and value for money service, seeking efficiencies and opportunities for standardisation where possible
- Cultivate a network of collaborative relationships at all levels within BAT which are based on mutual trust to ensure the best outcome for BAT as whole
- Take responsibility for the execution and delivery of key processes, protocols and governance as allocated by Patent Analyst, Manager or Senior Manager, Patent Searching & Analysis
- Promote risk management and compliance culture ensuring consistency in application of IP policies and procedures on a global level within BAT
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Previous experience in undertaking patent searching (landscape searches, pre-filing novelty searches, FTO searches, invalidation searches)
- Ability to effectively analyse the data from the searches and then identify and summarise the key information derived from the searches to enable effective communication
Technical / Functional / Leadership Skills Required
- Ability to converse readily and knowledgeably with project leaders in R&D to gain a full understanding of the technical aspects of the inventions/technology platforms to be the subject of the searching
- Ability to construct sophisticated search strings to facilitate high quality search outcomes, and to be able to analyse the search outcomes and adjust the search parameters to ensure delivery of high-quality search data
- Ability to assimilate and undertake analysis of large volumes of data and spot trends and patterns
- Detailed knowledge of and experience in using a range of software to assist in analysis
- Skilled in engaging and communicating in simple, clear and coherent manner (FAST)
- Good interpersonal and team-working skills, sound judgement and good decision making (EMPOWERED AND BOLD)
- Ability to manage priorities and meet commitments with a track record of successfully completing projects (RESPONSIBLE)
Education / Qualifications / Certifications Required
- Physics/Chemistry/Engineering degree (Class I or II/i) as a minimum
- Good working knowledge of patents
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!