BAT is evolving at pace - truly like no other organisation.
To achieve the ambition, we have set for ourselves, we are looking for colleagues who are ready to live our ethos every day. Come be a part of this journey!
BAT UK IS LOOKING FOR ANUNDERGRADUATE INTERN - CONSUMABLE TECHNOLOGY - fixed term 12 months
SENIORITY LEVEL: Internship 2023-2024
FUNCTION: Marketing R&D
SUB FUNCTION: Marketing R&D – New Category R&D
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Fixed Term
ROLE POSITIONING AND OBJECTIVES
Background & Context.
The Consumable Technology Team, part of New Categories R&D, are responsible for the investigation and ultimately delivery of breakthrough Consumable Technology innovations in support of the broader New Categories Vision.
Within the Consumable Technology Group - the Sustainable Materials Development Team is accountable for the development of novel sustainable materials (as Technology Block enablers).
The Intern will be a member of the Sustainable Materials Development Team, operating within Consumable Technology. The role will be predominately responsible for supporting Life Cycle Analysis, New Categories Environmental Impact mapping and carbon reduction activities.
In addition, the role will have opportunities to support the development of ‘Technology Block’ activities in Breakthrough Sustainable Materials Developments and learn how ESG strategy is implemented in a large FMCG organization.
As New Categories continues to grow, it is crucial that BAT provides industry leadership in managing the environmental profile of products relative to BAT ESG ambitions and goals.
Now is fantastic time to be at the forefront of shaping sustainability.
What are the key objectives and expectations from this role?
The Intern will be a member of the Sustainable Materials Development Team, within Consumable Technology – supporting key Life Cycle Analysis activities.
To deliver this, the Intern will support the delivery of assigned project activities.
Self-leadership and great collaboration skills, across internal and external partners is essential to support the delivery of the Consumable Technology vision.
What is the direct impact of this role on the team or organisation?
This role will leverage technical expertise in materials science, environmental science, environmental sustainability & business leadership – supported by the Senior Product Developer and relevant Business Portfolio leads – to deliver breakthrough innovation and shape sustainability.
Performance would be measured against BAT key leadership capabilities (Behaviours and Outputs).
Bold, Fast, Empowered, Responsible & Diverse.
Principal Sustainable Materials Development Manager
Number of Direct Reports
Internal -Various subject matter experts across BAT; ESG; Product, Marketing; Finance, Manufacturing, Quality, Sensory
External – Development partners
WHAT YOU WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR:
Ensure Sustainable Material Tech Blocks are completed, in a consistent manner with the principles of our Innovation Framework:
- Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) activities;
- Development of ES initiatives;
- Support development of Sustainable Material ‘Technology Blocks’;
- Support the identification of opportunity areas within the R&D New Categories Consumables Technology Group.
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Chemistry, Business Strategy, or related;
- Excellent presentation and communication skills;
- Can lead-self effectively;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to liaise with multiple departments and stakeholders;
- Planning & ability to complete assigned projects activities;
- A drive to leverage specialist knowledge to improve ways of working;
- Able to develop both individual and team technical capabilities;
- A key resource, in championing sustainable development - defining and promoting sustainability best practice wherever possible;
- Placement Year.
WE ARE BAT
At BAT we are committed to our Purpose of creating A Better Tomorrow. This is what drives our people and our passion for innovation. See what is possible for you at BAT.
- Global Top Employer with 53,000 BAT people across more than 180 markets
- Brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries
- Newly established Tech Hubs building world-class capabilities for innovation in 4 strategic locations
- Diversity leader in the Financial Times and International Women’s Day Best Practice winner
- Seal Award winner – one of 50 most sustainable companies
BELONGING, ACHIEVING, TOGETHER
Collaboration, diversity and teamwork underpin everything we do here at BAT. We know that collaborating with colleagues from different backgrounds is what makes us stronger and best prepared to meet our business goals. Come bring your difference!